Monday, September 10, 2007

Swimming with Horses and Observing Latrines

I am currently sitting at a computer in the parish of Vasquez (the closest thing resembling a town) where at least 15 kids are running in and out of the room, asking me who I am, where I live, if I have a mother, and to look at their math homework and their pretty drawings, as they looking over my shoulder to watch me type. What a struggle, really. I need to acknowledge each and every one of them, because they are likely to be some of the kids I will be working with on future projects. But really, I only have an hour to work on one of the slowest computers I have ever used...I have deadlines to meet, people to write, forms to complete...but then again, I am in the Peace Corps to support these people, these kids, to get to know them and establish trust, confidence, and liking....It´s this balance that I deal with on a daily basis. Re-evaluating where my priorities should lie, and with whom and what I should spend my time.

I have been at my site for about a week now. One down, 100+ to go. haha, no, I am not actually counting down the weeks, that type of approach would make this stint nearly impossible. So what do I do on a regular basis, you ask? Well, yesterday morning I read over the diagnostic survey I will be using to evaluate the health of my 6 communities before I create project plans for my next 2 years. This assessment tool is used to better understand the needs and resources of the community and identify opportunity for my projects. I will be spending the next 3 months visiting every family in 6 towns, more or less interviewing them about their status of health, such as how many times in the past month their child has had diarrea, the condition of their latrine, where and with thom they have given birth, and if they purify their water before drinking. Then in the afternoon I went for a run, which became quite the eventful evening. This is how my days often play out...I plan on doing one thing, which turns into something quite different. So I begin walking down the street (yes, meaning THE street, since only one exists), and an angry dog jumps up and bites my shin. Off to a good start. Thank god it didnt break the skin, or else I would have had to travel 10 hours to Quito for a rabies shot. About 5 minutes later I run into a friend, who invites me to bathe in the river. I try my very best to accept invitations as awkward and uncomfortable as it may seem, in order to get to know people and the culture. So I cut my run short and head down to the river. We see the owner of a farm(intended to be a recreation center for tourists to enjoy the river....or for gringas to serve as the night´s entertainment....), and he convinces me to go for a short horse ride....then to remove the saddle and go swimming with the horse in the river in my running clothes. It was a wild experience, floating down the river on a horse, holding tightly onto his mane, trusting that he can swim...haha, so this goes on for about 10 minutes. After I get out of the water I am dragged to the kareoke machine, where I sing Ace of Base´s All that She Wants in english, because they want to hear the gringa sing. And for those of you have heard me sing, you know it is not pretty; I hurt my own ears. I am then force-fed empanadas (fried plantain patties filled with cheese) and orange juice, and then must run home because it was getting dark, and I cannot be out alone past dark.
Those are my days...a little work, a little play, a little cultural experience, a lot of food and meeting people, doing things that place me way out of my comfort zone and in the spotlight for all to see, hoping to gain the people´s trust that I am not here to conquer, but to be a friend. There is a ton of work to be done, but I have a lot of time in which to do it, so I am hopeful.
I had a meeting with the primary health clinic this morning in Vasquez to meet the health professionals (meaning 1 general doctor, 1 ear, nose and throat doctor, and one untrained nurse for more than 1,000 families) and get a better idea of the community´s needs...This was a bit overwhelming, as they don´t have enough medicine, enough staff, enough resources..I pray that my community diagnostic will help me specify the most urgent and grave problems, and those in which I can influence.
Thanks for all your emails and letters!!! You guys are wonderful, and I will write back as soon as I can!

No comments: