Saturday, August 18, 2007

Technical Trip 2-Esmeraldas

I just returned from a fantastic trip in the coastal province of Esmeraldas. The theme of the trip was tropical diseases, specifically malaria, dengue, and chagas. We attended lectures and presentations at various medical clinics, both NGO and public organizations, to learn more about these diseases affecting many Ecuadorians. On the final day we broke up into small groups and gave a presentation to a local high school about malaria...very good practice.
Highlights:
We took a mini excursion to check out Cynthia´s site in Tachina, 1hr or so from Esmeraldas City. It was so cool to have the opportunity to see where she will be living and the type of work that she will be doing. I have come to the realization that things are very different from the States, but I usually only come to this conclusion when I make comparisons and think about how things function differently.
For example, Kristen and I realized we would be super big creeps in the States if we tried to make friends and get to know people like we do here. In order to assimilate and get to know the community, you just have to get out there and introduce yourself to people. So envision this situation...I am walking through town and a little boy is playing with a kite. I stop and say hello, ask him what his name is, and maybe then his age, where he lives, etc. The child usually responds, and will ask me similar questions, and perhaps even invite me to play with him.
I CANNOT imagine doing this at home in Cary, NC. First of all, the poor guy would probably be scared because I am a stranger, and Im sure his mother would be afraid I was a petafile or something. It just would not fly at home. These kinds of comparisons are fun sometimes.
Another example: at Cynthia´s site we visited the Mayor´s office. He knew a day ahead of time that we were coming because our boss called him by telephone and TOLD him what time we were available. He suprised us with a cake! An enormous birthday-like cake, paired with Coke. Picture a similar situation in the States: I email or call the Mayor´s secretary. They get back to me within a month´s time, and I am lucky if he has time to meet with some random volunteer that is stopping by town for an hour. If I am invited in, I must wear business attire and I surely would not be suprised with a cake. Perhaps a bottle of water.
I took a few pictures this time around which will hopefully help me tell more stories, for the week seems to be a blur right now...I will post those next time I come to the internet cafe. I have posted pics from orientation and the first technical trip (July 14). http://community.webshots.com/user/kenneysarah?vhost=community&track_pagetag=/page/photo/goodtimes/friendsfun&track_action=/Owner/Header/Nav/MyShots/Albums Enjoy!

No comments: